Harvest Chicken, Apple, Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato Skillet
From Fixjunk Wiki
A delicious and hearty fall skillet that stands on its own.
Also delicious served over a small heap of pearl / israeli cous cous!
- 2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, — cut into cubes
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Penzeys Mural of Flavor (salt free seasoning)
- 8 tsp olive oil, divided
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon — chopped
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts — trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 medium (or 1 large) sweet potato — microwaved or boiled for 4 minutes then peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 FIRM apples — peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 6-8 cloves garlic — minced (about 2-3 teaspoons)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning (or a small pinch each coarse flake salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, granulated garlic and ground chipotle pepper)
- 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- Season the chicken with Poultry Seasoning and Mural of Flavor
- Heat half of the oil in a large, deep skillet
- Add the chicken and cook over medium heat until lightly browned and cook through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and transfer to a plate.
- Add the bacon and cook until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes
- Add the Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes
- Cook stirring occasionally until crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the apples, garlic, cinnamon, sugar, and Northwoods Seasoning.
- Stir well and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add half (1 cup) of the chicken broth and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the rest of the broth (1 cup).
- Cook for 2 more minutes and serve
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (the bacon will soften somewhat, but the meal is still yummy).
- Reheat gently in the microwave with a splash of chicken stock to keep it from drying out.
Adapted from Penzeys magazine Fall 2012