This is a fantastic cool-to-cold weather dish that's really easy, very hearty, and super delicious. You pretty much will eat too much during a given sitting. My mom used to make this as "Hungarian Goulash" but who knows where it came from...
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped (half a large onion)
- 16 oz. tomatoes (1 can)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon marjoram leaves
- 1-1/2 cups fine noodles, uncooked (about 3 ounces)
Cook and stir the meat and the onion in a large skillet until the meat is brown. Drain off the excess fat. Stir in the tomatoes (with their liquid) and remaining ingredients, stirring to break up the tomatoes. Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender, about 20 minutes. A small amount of water can be added if necessary. Serve hot.
- Serves 4
- Total time required: 45 minutes
- Prep time: 15 minutes (while browning)
- Browning time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Double the recipe because you'll want leftovers!