Mac and cheese
From Fixjunk Wiki
Revision as of 07:06, 30 October 2019 by Y8s
You want baked mac and cheese? I GOT YOUR BAKED MAC AND CHEESE RIGHT HERE!
- 1 lb. dried elbow pasta (big, with ridges works well)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- - (OR 3 cups milk, 1 cup heavy cream, or probably it's fine with all 4 cups milk)
- 1 lb jack cheese
- 1 lb sharp cheddar
- 1/2 to 1 lb gouda (or gruyere if you like)
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. powdered garlic
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease a 3 qt baking dish (9x13"). Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When boiling, add dried pasta and cook 1 minute less than the package directs for al dente. Drain and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil to keep from sticking.
- While water is coming up to a boil, grate cheeses and toss together to mix, then divide into three piles. Approximately 3 cups for the sauce, 1 1/2 cups for the inner layer, and 1 1/2 cups for the topping.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over MED heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk to combine. Mixture will look like very wet sand. Cook for approximately 1 minute, whisking often. Slowly pour in about 2 cups or so of the milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until smooth. Slowly pour in the remaining milk/half and half, while whisking constantly, until combined and smooth.
- Continue to heat over MED heat, whisking very often, until thickened to a very thick consistency. It should almost be the consistency of a semi thinned out condensed soup.
- Stir in spices and 1 1/2 cups of the cheeses, stirring to melt and combine. Stir in another 1 1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine drained pasta with cheese sauce, stirring to combine fully. Pour half of the pasta mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with 1 1/2 cups of grated cheeses, then top that with the remaining pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with the last 1 1/2 cups of cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheesy is bubbly and lightly golden brown.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Total time XX minutes
- Prep time: X minutes
- Cooking time: XX-YY minutes (some overlap)
- Try this crazy option for some result!