Difference between revisions of "Harvest Chicken, Apple, Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato Skillet"
From Fixjunk Wiki
m (Y8s moved page Chicken apple brussels skillet to Harvest Chicken, Apple, Brussels Sprout, Sweet Potato Skillet without leaving a redirect)
Latest revision as of 06:53, 6 January 2019
A delicious and hearty fall skillet that stands on its own.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, — cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt — divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon — chopped
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts — trimmed and quartered (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 medium sweet potato — peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion — chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples — peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic — minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme — or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth — divided
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium high, until hot and shimmering. Add the chicken, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper. Cook until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium low. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp and brown and the fat has rendered, about 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate (I simply laid another paper towel on top of the plate with the chicken, then stacked the bacon on that). Discard all but 1 1/2 tablespoons bacon fat from the pan.
- Increase skillet heat back to medium high. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, onion, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme, and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds, then pour in 1/2 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/2 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved bacon and serve warm.
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (the bacon will soften somewhat, but the meal is still yummy).
- Reheat gently in the microwave with a splash of chicken stock to keep it from drying out.